There is a young man in my seminary class that every morning as he leaves he says "Thank you Sister Garrett." He is probably one of the most polite young men I know. He has been raised to show respect, but I believe he also knows it is important to be gracious. It is not just a passing comment slipping from his lips, but he looks me straight in the eyes, smiles and says thank you.
Elder David A. Bednar last October General Conference shared in his talk about giving a prayer of gratitude, asking for nothing but only giving thanks. I have been able to do this once in my life, it was hard. Not hard to think of things to give thanks for, there is always plenty, but hard to not ask because of my neediness and selfishness for always wanting something.
Paul writes in 1 Thessalonians 5:18 - "In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." I am pretty sure everything I have been blessed with is from my Heavenly Father and even the things I have not received. I hope He knows I am so grateful for this. I try to thank Him, I am just not sure I thank people enough.
One of my favorite memories about my father is he would always write thank you notes; to his students, to their parents, to a friend, to someone who gave a talk in church, or gave him a gift, etc. It is a great memory of him and I try to emulate him in this deed but know I fall short.
If I have never told you thank you, I am now because if you are reading this post then you must be important to me and if you are important to me you must have had some influence in my life and for that I am thankful.
Imagine it with me looking you straight in the eyes, smiling and saying thank you.
No comments:
Post a Comment