Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Apply it to yourself

General Conference is this weekend. I love it. I love listening to the General Authorities, Apostles and Prophet speak. I love reading their words again in the accompanying Ensign. I love that for some reason I can hear them speaking while I read their words.

Often after a wonderful weekend of General Conference I will hear people say ... "well, I believe the theme was (insert principle of the gospel here)", and I will think "well, yeah that was talked about but I got (insert personally application here) out of it." I believe that is what their talks are about - what each one of us needs personally because we seek our own revelation for their words.

A simple example of this -
This past Sunday our Priesthood/Relief Society lesson was taken from Elder Scott's talk in the November Ensign. I took the time to read his words ahead of class and decided I need to be more in tune to the Spirit and I would start writing my thoughts down during lessons and sacrament meeting talks. Our RS teacher taught the lesson from the perspective if we had spiritual experience and the priesthood teacher taught the lesson about the things we allow to distract us from the spirit. All generally the same idea but still all different.

I hope you look forward to and take advantage of listening this weekend to the leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints speak. I hope you will go with a prayerful heart and hear and learn what YOU need to hear and learn. I hope to.

No comments: