Sunday, September 30, 2012

On the path to the Grand Canyon



Yesterday we really challenged ourselves with an 18 mile hike.  We hiked down Palomar Mountain to the 76 and than hiked back up.  It is a bit lot more challenging to hike up on the last half of a hike but that is what the Grand Canyon will be like.  This proved to me I will live through it, but maybe - barely.  It took us 8 hours with lots of breaks some every 15 minutes, until the last 4 miles when we hit trees, shade and temperatures finally below 80.  Going down was not a problem, but the first 5 miles back, with sun and temperatures around 90 or more was exhausting.  My body forgot how to cool itself down and pouring water on me every hour or so was the saving factor.  Craig took both packs and let me rest as needed along with putting my hand on his shoulder.  Just the comfort of his prodding me along kept me going.  This hand on his shoulder allowed me look down and focus on each individual step instead of the overwhelming task ahead.  My hand was encased with his hand, besides the small pull it was giving me; the overwhelming amount of comfort was what I needed mentally. Maybe that sounds grueling and why would I attempt the Grand Canyon, but I believe we can do it.  I have thought about how we can be overwhelmed with life, but we just need to put our hand out for the comfort of our Savior and He will lead us; pulling us along sometime, allowing us to know we can take the next step (just one step at a time is all that is needed) and give us amazingly beautiful comfort.  I know my Savior has gotten me through life; I would be lost without Him.  I am so thankful for Him.  I love Him.

We still have plenty of smiles, because it is just the beginning.
 Some of the pictures of the pretty views and nature that we enjoyed along our hike.

The overview from the top

The starting path

Overlook at our path to come

Weed or flower, still pretty

Dried flower

The vultures were starting to circle (ha ha) - orange groves

New life among the burnt trees

Skeletons

Beauty among the thorns


Palomar Mountain side
 The starting look of exhaustion with the challenge


One of many refreshing drinks


Still smiling but we are only to the bottom

Styling

The shirt is wet from water being poured over me to cool my body down

The man of the hour

His pack is so full because he has mine stuffed in there too

A little dirt and grime among the sweat

Our shadows don't reflect how we feel
 
SPENT!!!!! 
Near the end
 
On the way to the top

Sun setting

Overjoyed to finally see the car!






No comments: