Saturday, January 19, 2013

Gains, Gifts, Insights

You know that saying "be careful what you wish for, you just might get it."  On my morning walk I realized it has come true for me.  A few months back I was thinking, wishing, praying to be more giving and now I have that blessing.  I get to be more giving and caring for my mom.  I don't believe Heavenly Father gave my mom leukemia to make my prayer come true, I think He was preparing my heart for the time when I needed to really put it into action.

Mom starts her 2nd round of chemo today, they are everyday for a week.  I was really hoping the appointments would be later so I could still enjoy my morning walks.  Well, I got the schedule and every appointment is after 2 or later, like 4.  Yes, that means we come home in traffic but I STILL get to go on my morning walks. (Bonus - we get to use the carpool lanes and we are zipping by most of the cars for a good 1/3 or more of the drive)  I love my walks, they are a time of phone calls to family and friends, peaceful reflection, listening to podcasts, and just the right exercise I need.

Tuesday, mom had another blood transfusion and it has given her a burst of energy.  I love it because she wants to and is able to do some of the good old regular things for herself.  She was calling away on her phone to do a lot of her change of addresses, reading books again, folding her own laundry, etc.  Each one of those activities had been on hold for a couple of weeks because of the weariness she had been feeling but to take those on again allows me a joy to see her "working" and "being busy", while I am also able to find time to do some of the things I had been putting on hold.  Does that sound selfish?  I hope not, I think it is good for her to feel productive and yes for me to feel it too.

Mom doesn't get to go outside much anymore and I know the garden is one of her favorite things.  To make it feel more outdoorsy I decided to buy a bouquet of flowers as often as needed.  Bonus for me because I get to enjoy the flowers indoors too and have always thought if I have the money I am going to have fresh flowers all the time in my home.  The decision to budget for this right now is a good thing. 

Not a sniffle or ache anywhere; so far I have been healthy.  Really healthy.  I know this is a blessing and gift because I can't be sick and help mom.  I can't be sick because I could give her my infection.  I keep thanking my Heavenly Father everyday I am feeling healthy and keep praying that it will continue.

I have the best family in the world.  Craig just jumps in and does things that I had been regularly doing around the house, he just notices them and takes care of them.  Anthony and Jana and Aimee are available to talk to and just share with them.  It is so wonderful to feel this love and support.  I know a lot of prayers have been said on our behalf and I can feel their strength, support, and blessings.

All this is really good. REALLY GOOD!

1 comment:

GrainCrazy said...

Thank you for your beautiful words. You are an angel here on earth that blesses my life as well as those around you. You are wonderful. I love this scripture D&C 123:17 I have read it several times in that last month. It is so neat to know he is right by our side and will help us in all areas of our life. The "Cheerful" part fits you well.
Love you, Cherie