Wednesday, March 23, 2016

2 more weeks down

March 22, 2016

Buongiorno!

I am feeling excited and nervous all in one as we count the days down until we officially leave on our mission.  So little time!  My biggest goal is that my grandchildren sufficiently have enough fun and good experiences with us that they will remember who we are.  Z is old enough but J and C are so little still.  At least right now J lights up with the cutest smile when we walk in the room and C can point us out in a crowd when asked where is grandma and grandpa.

Utah is fickle when it comes to spring and the weather.  We have had beautiful days where I can walk anywhere or work in the yard and we have had plenty of rain and snow. Like this week, Sunday being the first day of spring - flowers were bursting out all over and we had 60+ temperatures, today only two days later - snow, snow, and more snow and definitely coat weather.



Craig and I really enjoyed the sunshine a couple of Saturday's ago.  Craig continues to prepare for his big race - THE Boston Marathon! So he ran and I rode my bike from our home to the Jordan River Parkway.  The way there is easy - all downhill - which you know that means uphill on the way back and in my case walking the bike home.  But we went about 14 miles on the parkway and it was beautiful.  We couldn't believe how easy and pleasant the way was.  The Jordan River Parkway runs all along the Jordan River, I believe it goes from the Great Salt Lake to Utah Lake and Provo River.  Obviously so much more to explore, but we enjoyed riding past The International Peace Gardens, golf courses, trees, swamps, bird refuges, and many other little parks. It is a plus with us and hopefully we can get a few more runs and rides in in the next couple of months.










 This past week, my sister Katherine flew in for a couple of days.  We realized when she was leaving that it will be 20 months until we see each other again, unless, somehow they can swing a trip to Italy!? While she was here we just wandering around close to home.  We walked to the Church History Museum and enjoyed the art exhibit about Christ plus watched a short video that depicts the First Vision.  I didn't realize that there are about 10 accounts that Joseph Smith wrote of his vision, the one we read in the Pearl of Great Price is the most descriptive.  The video combined the different accounts bringing in parts that might have not been in what is familiar. Katherine and I enjoyed lunch at the Blue Lemon and then did a little window shopping in City Creek Mall.  One bonus about my mission is I do need a few new clothes - skirts and dresses need to cover the knees at all times; sitting and standing.  I discovered I should be able to find a few things that are flattering and colorful.  But I have to leave behind my patterned and fishnet tights - ha ha.




Craig and I also had a bonus dinner out with Ugo Perego - he is the head of the CES  (Church Education System) in Rome and was at Utah Valley University presenting at a symposium. We made a connection through mutual friends.  It was great to met Ugo and also to get several heads up about life in Italy.  Like I should plan on hanging everything up to dry, no screens on windows, and get a simple wedding band to wear.  Also our computers and devices should all work with no problem in Italy but to plan on either needing an outlet adapter for hair appliances or purchase them there.   Plus everyone would be happy for me to cook for them as long as it is cookies or pancakes or very American food because any of my "Italian" cooking will be a sorry show.  I hope to have a few Italians show and teach me some of their authentic Italian cooking.




We also had the special privilege of church Sunday being the Provo Center Temple Dedication.  All I can say it was a highlight - Elder Oaks conducted and spoke in the first dedication.  There were  sessions and Craig and I went to the 9 am, came home and stayed with the grandkids while their parents went to the 12 pm session.  I just thought it was especially special taking place on Palm Sunday and the first day of Spring - those were significant to me.  That night we had a special FHE teaching Z and J about Palm Sunday and these holy week before us.


Other highlights - babysitting C and playing a little BB with him, attending the BYU basketball game Friday (Virginia Tech) and watching the Cougars win, a big FHE and Easter egg hunt with Craig's mom, siblings and their families, visiting the BYU Bean Natural History Museum with C and his mom, lots of walks pushing J in his stroller, taking Z and friend to the park, baking with Z, yard work with the whole family. Plus lots of Italian language studies - I do know how to say "Boungiorno, Io mangio i biscotti al cioccolato e la torta al cioccolato. Sono molto buoni." and start my prayers "Caro Padre Celeste"
















Love you all,

Buonanotte

Craig and Ellen

No comments: