Monday, August 15, 2016

Monreale Duome

If you ever make your way to Palermo, Sicily you should put on your list of to dos – the Monreale Duome!






Last Monday we drove to Monreale with Sorella Roberts and Sorella Bellomo for our P-day activity. The duome is simply plain from the outside but upon stepping inside I was in awe from the first moment. I wasn't even sure where to begin to look.



The center of it all is the picture of the Savior, Jesus Christ. Everything is made from gold laid or color mosaic tiles. Everything!






The duome was built in the 12th century. It depicts miracles and stories from Jesus' life along with the creation of the world, Adam and Eve, and Noah's ark. 











The floor and columns are covered in mosaic tiles, it is beautiful. I can't even imagine the time needed or the talent and patience.













While there, a man spent a little time telling us the stories and why the duome was built – besides that the ruler wanted to updo his father's catherdal – it was built to teach people about Jesus Christ. Craig gave the man a few coins to thank him because we knew that was something he was hoping for. I don't mind giving a bit when there was time spent.












Sorella Bellomo and Sorella Roberts were a treat to be with. They graciously loved being there too.










1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this continuing education from you.
Love you both and respect.