Our first sighting was a coyote, a very fat one too. This one was definitely well fed.
We also saw bison, but NO antelope!
Craig and I went with Anthony and the boys. They loved the sticks and the crunchy snow. I loved the way the plants looked so bare but still had their own beauty in the snow, with the contrasting shadows they made in the bright white snow.
Maybe the island looked stark but I saw endurance and hope.
We took a short hike to the former homestead of the Fray family. They lived on the island for 11 years, providing for themselves mostly from the land. Mrs. Fray homeschooled the children and a few were born on the island. The thoughts of the children were "we may have been considered poor but we were rich with exploration and discovery."
Along the short hike we discovered numerous animal and bird tracks, from the smallest to quite large. Our guess on the larger prints were coyote and bobcat. But we felt we also saw rabbit and lizard tracks too.
What do you think? I thought our trail was pretty too.
From the island we looked back to the mountains and their reflections in the Great Salt Lake.
I felt like I could treasure this silent island always in my memory. Come visit it again with me.




















No comments:
Post a Comment