Taking a little bit of inspiration from Anthony, thoughts from Elder Holland's BYU devotional talk and insight from SS lesson #4, I came up with Plan B. I don't know if this is anything what they intended but I believe we can do with it how we personally are directed.
First off, Anthony has a new blog where he shares religious thoughts (good for him), Elder Holland's talk "remember Lot's wife" had one point where he said she did not have enough faith in Heavenly Father to know he had something better planned for her and SS lesson #4 had one little part about the lost 116 pages of the Book of Mormon manuscript and how Heavenly Father prepared for that. As these things tumbled around in my mind, this is what came spilling out.
Heavenly Father has a plan for me, He knows me and He has prepared ways for me to allow for my life to be better. Sometimes I mess up or life does, but He has plan B.
A few plan B's that have made things turn out better for me and my family.
When Aimee was a baby, Craig and I participated with our El Cajon 3rd's ward youth group on a ward skiing, boating, and camping activity at Lake Powell. It was a lot of fun until I decided to slalom. On my attempt to drop one ski, my foot flew up, caught the ski rope and it wrapped around my foot. The rope dug into my foot causing the need for medical attention. We took the boat back to Page, AZ and drove to the hospital. My cut was cleaned and stitched up, but the doctors were not going to let me back on the lake and my nursing baby was not allowed to stay in the hospital with me. Now let me know back up a few months, Aimee and I were taking a "Mommy and Me" class where I met a good friend from .... Page, AZ; well, at least her parents lived there. I knew a lot about them even down to the details of where they lived. Craig drove over there and asked a huge favor of them, could I rest on their couch for a day and a night until we left for home the next morning. They did not know me from Adam but they opened their home to me and Aimee. Plan B, I don't think Heavenly Father wanted me to get hurt but He knew it might happen and He prepared for it.
Anthony, age 14, backpacking in southern Utah with the Bennion Heights 8th ward young men and leaders. Their second day in, Anthony along with four other good friends were hiking in their own group. There was a group ahead of them and one behind but basically this part of the trail they were on their own. A wrong turn turned into a three day, two night experience of being "lost". There was a lot of cool things that happened for these young men, like they had been taught well by their scout and priesthood leaders of what to do. They returned to their first night's camping spot (the one with water), set up "camp" and prepared to be found. (If you ever want the whole version or the absolute correct version, talk to Anthony or BJ or Kyle or Tim or Matt.) There were numerous prayers said, a fire built and a SOS put on top of an orange tarp. An orange tarp that Craig and I happened to throw in Anthony's already too full, too heavy backpack just in case he might need it. Plan B, the search airplane had spotted the orange tarp.
About 9 months before our whole family moved to California (again), Craig's employer American Express decided to downsize which meant Craig needed to find a new job. This was in 2002, the year of the Salt Lake Olympics, something Craig had really wanted to help with but how do you work the Olympics and a full time job together. AE gave a generous compensation package, allowing income while Craig was job searching. But also allowing Craig to be a volunteer at both the Olympics and the Para-Olympics, an amazing experience for him. Plan B, we had income to the exact day the new job in California started and a blessing for our family both financially and service directed.
Plan B, I don't know maybe these events were really Plan A, but in any case I know my Heavenly Father was there aware of what was needed and provided for it. I continue to trust Him to know what is best for me and work at listening to Him so I will know too.
2 comments:
i love you. and i like the picture you put on here. is it the one from the vienna boys choir? muah.
Great post, Mom. I think the only correction I have is that the second airplane was actually a first helicopter.
Post a Comment