Ephesians 4:11-14
I believe all of you that read my blog would recognize these verses from the New Testament as a scripture mastery. Scripture mastery being that you memorize the scripture, learn to locate it quickly and hopefully come to an understanding. An understanding that allows you to apply it to your life.
I teach early morning seminary and encourage my students to do all of the above. Occasionally the memorization is enabled into the long term memory, occasionally finding the scripture reference takes only seconds, but rarely some understanding is demonstrated. Demonstrated being the optimal word here.
Today I divided the students into 4 groups. Each group was asked to take a part of the scripture and break it down into examples used today. Then we rewrote the scripture. Here is Fallbrook's freshman class version of Ephesians 4:11-14
"And he gave Patriarch Baker, President Monson, Elder L. Tom Perry, Bishop Kolb and Bro. Tavano for our guidance and to help us preach the gospel, till we come to know Jesus Christ is the Son of God and our Savior, to help stay away from the temptations of cursing and doing drugs."
Clearly a bit different but our own interpretation. What came next was the writing in the personal seminary journal a time this happened to them. A time when a church leader helped guide them in their life.
Here are a few examples:
*Pres. Hatch asked us to read the Doctrine and Covenants, my family read it together and finished most of it on the last day of the year, but we finished it. I learned about church history and revelations that were given to Joseph Smith. I probably would not had read the Doctrine and Covenants on my own, but this helped me know the scriptures better.
*Bishop Morrison encouraged us to get involved with Prop. 8. Because of our church membership involvement, marriage only between a man and a woman is the law in the state of California.
*My grandfather, Patriarch Baker, has set an example to me of going to the temple every week. He has not told me that I should go but his example and love has encouraged me to go to the temple when I can.
*I had a teacher who asked me to prepare a family tree, I was able to get to know who my relatives and ancestors are.
And a unique one: (student talking) None of those people have ever helped me, the only person who has ever helped me is my mother. (me talking) Your mother has helped you a lot, but I believe some of these people have helped your mother which in turn has helped you. Your mom is in the library this morning how about you go ask her to share a time with you. (student, after discussion with his mother) my mom shared with me an example
Normally, I would have reacted and said something to the affect I am sure you have been helped by one of these people; your bishop perhaps. Or you mean to tell me none of my seminary lessons have ever helped you. But I was guided to take a breath, pause and gave the directive of searching out how his mom had been helped. I know I was given the words that came out of my mouth for a more uplifting outcome.
I know we have church leaders on the earth today giving us guidance for bettering our lives and encouraging us to reach perfection in our eternal lives. I love hearing from my stake leaders, my bishopric and our prophet and apostles. I look forward to hearing them semi-annually at stake and general conference. My favorite issues of the Ensign is the November and May issues where I can read and reread the words I heard. I love that when I read their words I can hear their voices in my head speaking to me.
He gave me some, apostles; and some, prophets.... for my perfecting, so I can know my Savior Jesus Christ as I travel on earth today.
How have they help you?
No comments:
Post a Comment