Thursday, February 26, 2009

How can we waste so much?

Today is garbage day on Palomino Road. On our little sleeve of the street there are 6 homes each with an average of 3 people living in them. Because of the narrowness of the road we all haul our large rolling barrels to the end of the road and set garbage cans there for the trucks to pick up. We can each have a garbage barrel, a recycling barrel and up to 10 green waste cans. That is a lot of garbage.

Let me try to explain how large our garbage and recycling barrels are. They are almost 5 feet tall and probably 3 feet in diameter, you can load up to 300 lbs in each barrel. That is a lot of garbage.

Our home has 3 people living here, we take our garbage barrel and recycling barrel to the end of the road usually only every other week, at that point they are almost full. I can't help but notice my neighbors' barrels when I drive by. The thing I notice is almost every week everyone has taken their barrels down. One of each and they are full, not partially full, full! Sometimes overflowing. That is a lot of garbage, how can someone have that much garbage!?!

Granted, Craig is really good at smashing each bag down so more fit in each barrel and he does always smash the boxes for the recycling bin, but still. Where does all the garbage come from? I just wonder do we get too much stuff, well that is another time and another question.

You can place my thoughts in your garbage can, recycling bin or green waste.

Love ya

2 comments:

Keli said...

Oh, how I wish we had green recycling in Rogers...

Aimee said...

i love reading what you write.

do it more. please.