http://www.ldsmag.com/books/040430peacegiver.html
I have been wanting to read this book and finally did from cover to cover. It offered some insights to "smaller" stories in the Old Testament - Jonah (which I never really understood before) and Abigal, Nabal and David (which I do not remember reading before.) But the most powerful thoughts that came to my mind was that we were to love everyone and demonstrate that love in our actions because Christ loves them. They do not need to prove they deserve this love to us. We do not need love back, but as we give our love to them freely (part of our agency) we submit ourselves to our Heavenly Father's will.
Sunday was church with Anthony and Jana in their cute married students' ward. Our closing hymn was "Lord, I Would Follow Thee". I have always thought this was a beautiful hymn but the words hit me more closely that day.
http://www.lds.org/churchmusic/detailmusicPlayer/index.html?searchlanguage=1&searchcollection=1&searchseqstart=220&searchsubseqstart=%20&searchseqend=220&searchsubseqend=ZZZ
Savior, may I learn to love thee, walk the path that thou has shown,
Who am I to judge another When I walk imperfectly?
I would be my brother's keeper; I would learn the healer's art.
Savior, may I love my brother As I know thou lovest me,
First lines of all four verses - beautiful, powerful, directionally
The other thing that I have been enjoying reading is the May copy of The Ensign. I have read a few articles before and since thinking I remembered all the talks but I did not remember hearing Elder Quentin L. Cook's talk:
Our Father’s Plan—Big Enough for All His Children
http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=1d0a230bac7f0210VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD
The following two paragraphs showed some of my heart's thoughts recently:
"Our leaders have consistently counseled us "to live with respect and appreciation for those not of our faith. There is so great a need for civility and mutual respect among those of differing beliefs and philosophies."
"It is equally important that we be loving and kind to members of our own faith, regardless of their level of commitment or activity. The Savior has made it clear that we are not to judge each other. This is especially true of members of our own families. Our obligation is to love and teach and never give up. The Lord has made salvation "free for all men" but has "commanded his people that they should persuade all men to repentance."
Today I wandered on campus to visit the BYU Museum of Art. I was hoping to see a new exhibit about Victorian art but it was not ready yet. My eye was caught by a small exhibit entitled Reflections of Christ, there were just a few paintings that were owned by the museum but I particularly was inspired by one by Bernard Sleigh, named The Crucifixion-A Triptych.
The Crucifixion - A Triptych, Bernard Sleigh (1906)
After wandering the campus a bit I saw a lonely dandelion. It was the only one I saw. It struck me how it was a weed and most people would pluck it out because it did not belong among the grass. But I thought I feel like a weed sometimes but I am grateful no one plucks me and do let me belong. I also know my Heavenly Father and brother, Jesus Christ love weeds.
1 comment:
I do love that book as well, I gave it as a wedding gift although its a story of a man with a broken marriage, I thought maybe it wasn't a good wedding gift, but Todd said since I loved it so much I should just give it to them, because I love them so much :) You have inspired me to read it again. I love you!! I think of you daily as the example of the mother I wish to be, living my testimony, strengthening, lifting and loving. Your so wonderful!!! I am grateful for his atonement as well with out which I would be forever lost.
Post a Comment