Friday, April 8, 2011

Power or the Lack there of

This morning I had a panic attack.  Really, I did - a true and true panic attack for about 5 minutes while I had no power.  I know that sounds ridiculous, 5 minutes without power is nothing.  But I started to think about all the things I could not do without power and I had plans for the day that required power, projects that need to be completed.  My thoughts went to what if it never comes back on,  how can I live without power. I even tried to reason with myself that 200 years ago, people managed without electricity, I might be able to figure out a way.  I know I would miss my refrigerator, my sewing machine, hot water, washer and dryer, computer and light at night.  How in the world did they make it? Part of it was, they did not know what they were missing.  I would and I relied on it so much.  What was I to do.  And do you know what I did, I said a prayer that the power would come back on and it did. 

During that 5 minutes of panic I also thought about many other forms of power besides electricity and how could I possible live without these: priesthood power, power of prayer, guidance power from the Holy Ghost, sealing power, etc.  I needed these forms of power in my life too.  How did people 200 years ago manage without the priesthood, or knowledge they could pray to Heavenly Father personally and He would answer them, or the constance guidance through the gift of the Holy Ghost.  One thing was they did not know what they were missing, but do you think they thought something was missing?  I thought about the sealing I was going to (and since went to) tonight (it was beautiful by the way) and how my life would be so very, very different without being sealed to Craig for eternity.  The sealing power gives me hope and endurance and direction.  The thought of being with my family forever is my main source of life and why I choose and live the way I do.  I could not even imagine my life without the power of prayer - I speak with my Heavenly Father daily numerous times and He listens and helps me and directs me and helps me and guides me and comforts me and well you get the picture.  I could go on and on and on about the need for power in my life.  Power is everything.

Can you see why I had a panic attack - it was about more than electricity, it was about every form of power and the essential part they all play in my life.  I am ever thankful for only 5 minutes without power and not a lifetime or eternity.  The power of prayer really did work for me and for a young boy almost 200 years ago that brought back POWER.

No comments: