Sunday, October 9, 2011

The journey to the Grand Canyon

Last month I mentioned that Craig and I have a goal to hike in and out of the Grand Canyon.  The thing is we want to do it in a day.  The "powers that be" don't recommend you do it in 1 day (they don't want you dying trying) but if you stay overnight you have to get a permit and that can take a year or two because of the waiting list.  Craig thinks we can do it in a day; he says it is 12 to 14 miles round trip.  I hope so, we have been hiking at near that amount twice now.  The thing is the last half is up hill;  I need to seriously get in better shape for that one.  So far we have gone uphill the first half, our first long hike, and this last one was mostly a wandering in and out of trails along the Torrey Pines State Park, not any true up and down hills.  But it was at least a 12 mile hike that took us almost 5 hours.  I was dragging a bit at the end and my feet had a couple of blisters and were delighted for the shoes to come off. 

Note to self - drink more water and eat more nutritious snacks for energy when you go hiking to ward off dehydration headaches.

I thought I would share a few pictures from our 2nd preparation hike.  Torrey Pines State Park is a beautiful place and if you walk in from the street you can avoid the $10.00 parking fee but it also helps add the miles to a hike.  Don't mind the wild hair, that is what happens when you mix my curly hair with humidity.


This is taken from east of I-5 (note the hair; smooth, calm, in place)

From the east parking lot of Torrey State Park toward the ocean on the other side of I-5

Only 30 minutes later, in the actually park (it is called humidity)


See the houses way over there?  that is where we left our car parked.






I think it is all quite beautiful, don't you!?!


Occasionally, someone takes pity on us trying to do a selfer and volunteers to help out.

One of the trails takes you down to the beach from here we walked to the hang glider park.  (I am really not sure why I have a red tongue)

Well, on the way to the hang glider park, you pass through Black's Beach.  Ummm... you can check that out, just know we did not do any checking out.

Wild hair, yes, but I am okay with it at the moment.  The climb out was a bit steep but only about a 10 minute hike up.


Yay, we made it.  From here we took a urban, cement hike back to the car.

No comments: