There were no mouse holes inside my home, none that I know of outside either. I had to look for earthworm holes, searching in the grass and than upon finding one lying still to wait. Arrietty only visited me when my eyes were closed or at least glazed over daydreaming. I sometimes brought her seeds, twigs and leaves - items I gathered around the yard. I always warned her when the lawn was to be mowed. We would chatter occasionally but the conversation was quite short, I never was quite sure of what to say. I usually asked how the family was and if she needed anything. We sometimes envisioned the bicycle she wanted and how she could ride it through the jungle of grass. We commiserated about our household duties; dishes, dusting and making our beds. Sometimes we talked about growing up. The call come from my mom that lunch was ready, ended with Arrietty running off home. I never quite sure where that was and if I would see her again. It was a good summer.
 |
| Do you think Arrietty's grandchildren might live here? |
The Borrowers by Mary Norton
was is a favorite book of mine. In 2007 it was listed as one of the 10 most important children's novel in the last 70 years. It certainly invaded my life and my copy is precious to me. It was important to me and my life, I loved reading it as a child and reading it to my children. And will remember my summer with Arrietty.
No comments:
Post a Comment