Sunday, July 14, 2013

"You got mail"


Mail once was the only way of long distance communication.  Now we have email, texting, cell phones, facebook, twitter, etc.  Although these forms make for amazingly, instant, and easy communication;  I still love to receive a good old fashioned letter or card delivered by the US Postal Service.  Am I alone in this?


When I went away to  Ricks College in 1978, my mom and dad would write and send me letters weekly.  Weekly! Ricks College was only 45 minutes from my home but it was a long distance phone call and a stamp was cheaper.  I would write home too.  I think my mom still has all my letters I sent to them.  It would be a pretty good history of my life to go back and read them.

 
My dad was a note writer.  If a person did something special, something he liked, or was helpful or kind; he would write a note to them acknowledging the deed and give gratitude.  He was quite regular at it and it has impressed on my mind.

My Grandma Brinkman sent birthday cards.  Every year on my birthday I would receive a birthday card with a dime taped to it, there would also be a nickel taped to it for my sister, Katherine.  On her birthday card, the opposite would happen.  I recall the big deal we made of it when grandma upgraded the dime to a quarter.  It really wasn't much but it was the love shown and given that was important. 


 The mail brought me other treasures too; my "Happy Hollisters" books.  I belonged to a book club and each month I anxiously would await my new edition to see what new adventure the Hollister family were on and the mystery they had to solve. Once that book arrived you probably couldn't find me because I would disappear somewhere only to emerge once the mystery was solved and all was safe again in the world.


Christmas cards are still sent from this household.  Craig puts together an amazing, funny newsletter and I address and stamp the envelope, fold the newsletter, and stuff it inside a card with a personal wish for a wonderful, joyful holiday.  We love receiving Christmas cards every year from our friends.  This past year, was different; two weeks before Christmas my mom, Karma, was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia.  We had not gotten to any cards yet and with the care and help she needed the cards were forgotten.  But hopefully we are forgiven for not sending you one.


Craig picks the mail up from our mailbox now days.  It used to be my job, a job I truly enjoyed because the mail can bring you happy things; like wedding announcements or birthday cards or magazines.  But sometimes there is only ads, not our favorite thing to receive. I feel bad for those spending the money on those mail ads because more often than not they go straight to the recycle bin without even a glance at them.  Craig took over because I couldn't always be counted on due to the care given my mom and I didn't always go to work in the afternoon.  But he can be counted on to come home every evening from work.


Do you remember, when AOL said "you got mail," well at this home we count who is the winner by who gets the most mail.  We still love mail, good old fashioned mail.


No comments: