Thursday, August 8, 2013

Planting


Last spring, mom and I planted some purple ice plants together.  She fell in love with them as we traveled the I-15 back and forth to Moores Cancer Center for her regular infusions, labs, or chemo treatments.  They were blooming everywhere covering hillsides with their bright purple flowers.  Ice plants bloom in the spring and we were nearing the end of spring, but we purchase some anyway and planted them together.  We planted 3 or 4 flats I forget exactly how many and I reminded mom we would only be able to enjoy them for a short time, they only bloom in the spring.  
I have 3 or 4 of them still in bloom, the picture testifies of this.  I am surprised and amazed.  I seem to always look for symbols in things, one of the things I am guilty of.  My mom is still here barely - I believe her spirit is ready to rejoin my dad as soon as her body is ready to let it go.  I am surprised, amazed, and grateful because her first diagnose with AML (acute myleoid leukemia), her oncologist thought she would only live about 1 more week without treatment.  My mom, sister Katherine, and I choose to have her receive chemo therapy so we could enjoy more time together.  And enjoy we did; she bloomed at the end of spring and we had fun times together on outings, gardening, playing games, and being with each other. 
Here it is the end of summer and the last of the ice plants are ready to stop blooming, it is okay, my mom is too.  Next spring they will bloom again and I will see their bright purple flowers and cry and smile.  I do that.  


2 comments:

Katherine said...

Very nice.

jane s said...

Perfect symbolism! When Spring comes & the flowers are blooming you will know - again - that your mom is growing where she is & your family is united between Heaven & Earth. =)