Sometimes events in your life distract you and you only can think of one thing. Yesterday and today that was the wildfires here in San Diego County. I trolled my facebook feed constantly in need of gathering information. Two of the wildfires were close to Fallbrook where I live. The Tomahawk Fire on Camp Pendleton started just inside the Naval Weapons Base which borders our community of Fallbrook. I have listened to the radio feeds, TV news feeds, and amateur radio feeds to gather knowledge. I checked The Fallbrook Village News for updates (since it is our local paper their focus was on "our" fire.) The Highway Fire was just southeast of Fallbrook, it is now reported to be 100% contained.
The only other time, I have felt this distracted was 13 years ago when the Twin Towers were crashed into. Oddly enough today was the dedication of the memorial/museum.
Yesterday, morning I was first made aware of the Tomahawk fire. It caused the evacuation of members of my ward from the De Luz housing area on Camp Pendleton. I offered my home but no one needed it. Blessed today that they were allowed back home. I can tell you I didn't accomplish much at work because I kept checking on every source I could find about the fires. We finally closed shop around 3:30, upon walking out we saw the wind had changed. That morning it was gusting up to 40 miles per hour out of the east going west. The heat had/is extreme for May, especially since we are know for our May Gray, yesterday 95+ , today 100+. I will admit that I (and know others) had been praying for a stop to the wind, it came that afternoon, at least a calmer wind. With the wind change though, the smoke and ashes started to fall on Fallbrook. My car is still covered with the dust and ash.
I went home and packed. I gathered clothes into a suitcase. Another bag was filled with supplies like toothpaste, soap, etc. along with all my chargers, kindle, and camera. The small fireproof safes were moved next to the door and a box was filled with photos I can't replace and my mom's history. I had been through this before, October 2007. Changes from then, we received an evacuation order (we spent a week at my sister's home in Mesa, AZ before receiving the okay to come home) - around 4 I received my voluntary evacuation order (on my landline, cell phone, text message, and email). After calming myself I called Craig - he was on his drive home (it took him about 3 hours) he said if needed make sure I take the computers. I chose not to leave, the evacuation spot was the high school less than a half mile from my home and actually between me and the fires. All the items were placed next to our door ready for me to load in the car and head north if needed.
I was anxious. I came home to an eerie red cast on everything, smoke filled air, ashes falling, and the thump, thump,thump of helicopters flying back and forth with their life saving water dumping on the monster. I was grateful to hear and see Craig walk in the door. He felt strong that we would be protected that we would not need to leave and we didn't. Last night,the air was calm and the skies clear that we actually took a nice walk around our neighborhood.
Craig shared a scripture last night too: Jacob 4:6
'Wherefore, we search the prophets, and we have many revelations and the spirit of prophecy; and having all these witnesses we obtain a hope, and our faith becometh unshaken, insomuch that we truly can command in the name of Jesus and the very trees obey us, or the mountains, or the waves of the sea.'
What a powerful scripture, even the earth (basically) will obey us with the faith we need in Jesus. My neighbor and I along with numerous family and friends via facebook were praying for the change of wind, the calming of the wind, and it took place.
Today we awoke to calmness. The wildfires were still surrounding San Diego (9 in all) but no wind or a minimum wind. I walked my traditional route this morning; the birds were singing (happy to be home), sky was clear and blue, but branches were askew everywhere, few other walkers, and little traffic (schools were closed). It was a feeling of the aftermath, although there really wasn't much. I spoke with an older gentleman (first time with him), he asked if I left - him did for a few hours - and we hoped for a better day today.
May 16 - Yesterday the air over Fallbrook was horrendous. A brown cloud of ash overhung our area making your eyes sting and your throat feel rough. I was very aware of the amazing service that was dedicated to protecting our little community.
The Tomahawk Fire abrupted again near the airport and an area off Alturas and near Olive Hill. Both areas were asked to evacuate, as Craig drove home past the intersection of Olive Hill and Mission he watched a man walking his horse out of Olive Hill to provide safety. The air power ascended and was constant, dipping and scooping up water from Los Jilgueros Preserve. The little pond there was a life saver and game changer, as the helicopters refilled again and again. I watched with awe and thanks as they flew over my home as many times as needed. They were not going to give up and did all in their power to protect Fallbrook. I know they were assisted heavenly through the thousands of prayers offered up.
![]() |
| taken by Robert Greenwood |
May 17 - As I walked this morning, I could see blue skies coming through the gray haze. The weather had changed and southern California was greeted with cooler temperatures and an off shore flow. Relief was coming, enabling the fire fighters to get a handle on the fires. Relief came to those who were anxious about their homes still being there in the morning or ready to evacuate if the call comes.
Although the sky was hazing, the sounds came through loud and clear. Sounds of trees being trimmed or cut down, weed whackers and lawn mowers cutting back brush and weeds, and the spotter plane looking for flare ups. The spotter plane has continued each day since.
I scan the online papers and started following The Scout Camp Pendleton's facebook page for updates. Joy came when I read "The Tomahawk Fire was 93% contained and kept to 6500 acres. And all evacuation orders had been lifted." My friends could go home. But it was a bitter sweet to read although most of the fires were contained, 18% of Camp Pendleton had burned.
I unpacked my suitcase this afternoon, the clothes only, after living out of them for 3 days. The case with toiletries and such is still packed and I intend to keep it so. The safe boxes and photo boxes are still packed and still by the door. I will move them to the closet sitting together, so they can be swooped up.
I filled 6 trash cans with dry, cut branches and leaves. I cleared one spot of my yard to not burn. It was a task that left me with a feeling of accomplishment but awareness of hard work. I thought of our home, we replaced our shake roof with shingles last year - one less worry.
I was not alone in my worries but each person has their own story and thoughts and introspective. And we can even laugh at ourselves.
![]() |
| by Vic Rodriquez (taken from Facebook) |
That evening Craig and I went to the temple, it seemed an appropriate end to the week. It was the perfect ending, such peace and direction is received in the temple. We also drove over to La Jolla Coves and walked along the beach. The sunset was hidden behind the onshore clouds, but it was good to see clouds, good to feel the sea breeze, good to feel.
May 18 - We awoke to a beautiful morning, the skies were blue with light, wispy clouds. Cool air and mild temperatures were predicted for the day. Each lesson or talk centered around what we could learn from our recent experiences. I have been working to archive images on my computer. My computer is first on my list to take with me.
May 19 - The recent fires are already behind us as we go forward into our summer. We had a bit of our "May Gray" this morning just an inkling. Looking forward to summer.



1 comment:
Thank you for sharing your experience, Ellen. Hopefully least one person will learn from it. I felt I was right there with you the entire time and I am so glad you are keeping your preparations in place. You just never know when you will need to make a quick exit. Stay safe!
Dara
Post a Comment