Monday, May 25, 2015

Photo Journal Week #19

May 25, 2015 - Memorial Day

A Visit to Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery

The last time I remember visiting Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery, Anthony was seven and Aimee was two.  We walk among the grave markers and reflected on the meaning of Memorial Day.

I wanted that experience again today. Craig and I picked a bouquet of red, white, and blue flowers and distributed them among several gravesides. I choose random markers who I felt impressed to leave the flowers among.

We did our best to wander sufficiently among the 101,079 markers reflecting on the service given for our freedoms, the sacrifices made.  We read grave markers, cried (and when I say cried I mean me), laid a flower or two, and paused for thanks. 






A few of the 101, 079 gravesites within the 77 acres of Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery.




















Monuments to those fallen.  The Mormon Battalion Memorial was erected in 1998.




Chester H Smith from the Idaho Infantry of the Spanish American War






Frederick L Cheenkloth served in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam Wars




I don't know if Harry Dow Mitchell died in battle but he was only 20 years old










Every gravesite had a flag flying




I loved the roses that were laid on an entire row of markers from another paying respect



To view any previous weeks photo journals see here.

No comments: