Sunday, May 29, 2016

Walls to Climb

On May 22, 2016  Craig and I were back in our beautiful Fallbrook ward.  We were able to share a few thoughts about serving our upcoming mission.  My heart was so full with all the love and support from so many friends and family.

Watching so many friends come into the chapel, I felt so blessed.  I especially loved hugging each of them.  And letting them know how much I love them and how grateful that Craig and I lived in Fallbrook for those past almost 14 years because it truly showed me more about family and love.  The Fallbrook 2nd Ward was my family and will always be.

I am posting here the thoughts that I mostly shared.  There were a few things I said from the moment of a full heart but this is what I prepared.

The Spirit of Prophecy

16 I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me.
 17 It no sooner appeared than I found myself delivered from the enemy which held me bound. When the light rested upon me I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other—This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!
Joseph Smith History 1: 16-17



Hearing and reading the Prophet Joseph Smith's account of the First Vision touched my heart as a freshman seminary student some 40 years ago. Then I knew it to be true and I know these words are still true. Each time I hear these words my heart beats faster and I am reminded of the witness I was given to know this is true. God, our Father, and Jesus Christ, our Redeemer appeared to Joseph Smith and ushered in the dispensation of the gospel to be shared to the whole world. Of which then and now I wanted to be a part of. Because I knew that God lives and loves you and I , because I knew that Jesus Christ was my Savior I wanted to shout it from the rooftops as Alma did.

“ 1 O that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people! Alma 29: 1

But the time was not right at 14 for me, I have waited for the time to be right, trusting God to know when that would be.

Prophecy consists of divinely inspired words or writings, which a person receives through revelation from the Holy Ghost. The testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy (Rev. 19:10). A prophecy may pertain to the past, present, or future. When a person prophesies, he speaks or writes that which God wants him to know, for his own good or the good of others. Individuals may receive prophecy or revelation for their own lives.

I did not know at 14 that my testimony and desire was a prophecy for my life but I recognize it now.

Our Heavenly Father has been preparing me through the guidance of the Holy Spirit for this moment and time. As He has been preparing so many more for their moment and time whether it is to share the gospel as a missionary or to stand strong in the face of adversity.

Elder Russell M. Nelson shared in October 2015 General Conference these words:
“Thirty -six years ago, in 1979 President Spencer W. Kimball made a profound prophecy about the impact that covenant-keeping women would have on the future of the Lord's Church. He prophesied: “Much of the major growth that is coming to the Church in the last days will come because many of the good women of the world...will be drawn to the Church in large numbers. This will happen to the degree that the women of the Church reflect righteousness and articulateness in their lives and to the degree that the women of the Church are seen as distinct and different – in happy ways – from the women of the world.” “

I have seen this prophecy of President Kimball come true through so many of my young women and their choices in their lives. When we moved to Fallbrook 14 years ago, I was blessed to be called to teach seminary. Another one of the desires of my heart from the age of 18 and 19. I taught for 8 years and had the privilege of spending morning after morning with amazing young women as we studied and learned from the scriptures together. Then I watched as these young women chose the path of temple marriages and missions. At one point I could name 10 or so of my girls serving a mission along with a great number of young men. I felt their power as they served and one by one as they came home I felt their love of service and God, my heart was fueled again with a desire to serve a mission along with my eternal companion, Craig.

Not to say that this has been an easy path here. There are “walls” - as stated in Teaching of the Presidents of the Church Howard W. Hunter lesson 8. “need to take stock to determine whether “walls” that we have built in our own minds need to come down.
For example, how about the “comfort wall” that seems to prevent many couples and singles from going on a mission? How about the “financial wall” of debt that interferes with some members’ ability to go, or the “grandchildren wall,” or the “health wall,” or the “lack of self-confidence wall,” or the “self-satisfied wall,” or the “transgression wall,” or the walls of fear, doubt, or complacency? Does anyone really doubt for a minute that with the help of the Lord he or she could bring those walls crashing down?
A recent outing we took with Anthony and Jana's family in was to Arches National Park. We choose a few hikes to go on, one was to Delicate Arch. The trail to see Delicate Arch up close and personal is 3 miles roundtrip and climbs 480 feet. My six year old granddaughter Zoe to hike this whole way. She kept going because her parents reminded her, she was a Garrett and Garrett's do hard things.
Serving a mission to Italy is a hard thing for me. I have that grandchildren wall to climb over – but I keep reminding myself that I can call and video conference regularly even weekly with my family back home. I don't have to wait for Christmas or Mother's Day like the young people do.
I also have the wall of “lack of self-confidence” to climb over. It seemed each time I came to that wall I would pull out a General Conference talk and that wall would have another brick or two shattered and knocked over. Most recently reading Elder Gary E. Stevenson's words from October 2015, he said “ As I agonized over my inadequacies this week, I received a distinct impression which both chastened and comforted me: to focus not on what I can't do but rather to focus on what I can do. I an testify of the plain and precious truths of the gospel.”
Well, I can give great hugs and I am quite sure in Italy they like to hug as much as the next person. I can feel love and compassion for others. I can bake a pretty good chocolate chip cookie and I have been told by good authority that Italians love chocolate chip cookies. I can listen well and be sympathetic. And I can bear testimony of the simple truths of the gospel of Christ on earth today.
And I can follow the example of Ammon who was willing to work and serve King Lamoni all his days. I can serve to exactness, I am a great follower. I can teach the words of Christ because I love the words of Christ.
“And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins.” 2 Nephi 25:26

I love my Savior, Jesus Christ. I feel His love and guidance in my life, I recognize He has prepared me and gifted me with many things to bring these prophecies of serving a mission and serving strong true in my life.

I have another wall that needs to be climbed. This is the language barrier wall, I don't know Italian. I am studying Italian a bit here and there. I am praying to know enough to share love and a simple testimony. My tongue twists and stumbles over the words. My brain freezes and shoves words back to the deep dark crevices. But I am trying. Craig jokingly refers to us as Moses and Aaron. Somehow I have the role of Moses but I definitely know he will most often have the role of Aaron. But again I am not to focus on what I can't do but focus on what I can do. I know “ti amo” , I know a smile and a touch is universal language. And I know kind hearts in Italy will want to help me. But mostly I know my Heavenly Father wants to and will help me in all manners of things that I need.

I hope to rejoice as Ammon:

 35 Now have we not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began; yea, and my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God; for he has all power, all wisdom, and all understanding; he comprehendeth all things, and he is a merciful Being, even unto salvation, to those who will repent and believe on his name.
 36 Now if this is boasting, even so will I boast; for this is my life and my light, my joy and my salvation, and my redemption from everlasting wo. Yea, blessed is the name of my God, who has been mindful of this people,... yea, I say, blessed be the name of my God, who has been mindful of us, wanderers in a strange land.
 37 Now my brethren, we see that God is mindful of every people, whatsoever land they may be in; yea, he numbereth his people, and his bowels of mercy are over all the earth. Now this is my joy, and my great thanksgiving; yea, and I will give thanks unto my God forever. Amen.
  • Alma26:35-37
I am a Garrett, I can do hard things. I am a daughter of God, He is mindful of me and will be with me as He always has been.

Sono grato per il Vangelo de Gesu Cristo.
I am grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ

Io so Joseph Smith era un profeta di Dio
I know Joseph Smith was a prophet of God

Io so noi abbiamo un profeta sulla terra oggi
I know we have a prophet on earth today

Io so che Gesu Cristo 'e il nostro Salvatore
I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior

Amo Gesu Cristo
I love Jesus Christ

Amo mio Padre Celeste
I love my Heavenly Father

Il libro di Mormon 'e la parola di Dio
The Book of Mormon is the word of God

So che il Padre Ceslete risponde all mie pregheire
I know Heavenly Father answers my prayers

Nel noe di Gesu Cristo, Amen.
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen

No comments: