Thursday, January 24, 2019

Vacationing with a Volcano

January 24, 2019

When we first arrived in Palermo on the island of Sicily, I was sightly freaked out. There were times when I thought of "if some natural disasters happen where do we go?" "I mean we are on an island and that means you can only run away so far."

I am not even sure where this irrational fear come from but there had been a few wildfires the week before we arrived. We were on an island with an active volcano, granted it was on the other side of Sicily, a hundred plus miles away. Reality, I didn't know the area and couldn't comprehend the size of Sicily, it was all very unfamiliar.


So a year later when Craig suggested we visit the island of Stromboli and hike to the top of the volcano, I thought he was a little crazy but I was excited and willing for the adventure.







Of course, I let my travel guide, Craig, make all the arrangements. We picked a date with nothing going on with our Young Adults or missionaries and took off.

It was a short trip, two days and 1 night. The hikes to the volcanoes are timed just so in the evening so you travel up in light, settle down to watch at dusk till dark, and a fast hike down in the dark. The volcanoes are active always but to really see those red flares and burst, it is best without light.

Stromboli is one of a seven islands in the Aeolian Island chain. There is a couple of hours ferry ride there to the village of Stromboli, the only settlement on the island. It is a charming little place right on the shore where you travel by foot, scooter, or ape (tiny cart). All necessities, even food and water, are ferried in. We observed this with the constant flow of ferry deliveries and even what at first appeared to be a sunken ship but as the water flowed off through the hoses the ship rose in the sea.




Our hotel, was lovely with all rooms having a great ocean view, sweet gardens, and sculptures, and beach access. The beach, black sand - black from the lava rocks. The water was clear but not blue really, just dark. Again because of the lava rocks.
















All hikes to the volcano have to be arranged through tours and with a guide. The tours provide safety helmets and great guides. Top recommendation, wear good high ankle boots, take jackets for the cool night hike down, bring snacks, dinner, and lots of water. Plus a good camera, because seeing a volcano explode is something you want to capture for memories. If you like walking sticks, they are a great idea. Each group was about 25 people, grouped by language and ability.










It takes several hours to hike up; there are a lot of switchbacks, and a lot of stopping to rest. During each stop, a lot of great information is shared by the guides about the island, its history, the volcano, and the area. Our guide was great, friendly, well versed in English, and very consciousness of each person's abilities.

 

 Why the good shoes? Well, first there was a member of our group whose shoes fell apart on the hike - granted he had been wearing the same boots for years - but he had to turn back because it would be impossible to continue barefoot. And second, on the descendant, you are walking - sliding - through inches of deep coarse sand that fills into your shoes by the second. A few stops to empty shoes were required and Craig and I poured out what seemed like gallons of sand.


Climbing the mountain was rough, but you don't have to be in top shape. There was a part of the climb where I felt like one wrong step and I was going to end up falling off the mountain. It wasn't really a cliff but we were on the edge of a narrow trail and let's just say if you fall you want to fall up. Seriously, I just kept breathing slowly, and thinking take this step, now the next step, now the next step. I let Craig lead the way and just looked straight ahead. I was scared and nervous.







 But once we saw our first glimpse of the eruptions, all that fear and sweat and tiredness disappeared. I was enthralled and just couldn't stop watching. Well alright perhaps all the fear did not disappear because as we got a little closer there was a time of concern about tumbling into the volcano, even if it was hundreds of yards - perhaps even thousands  - of yards away. I don't think there has ever been a person lost that way but if you have a fear of heights be aware.

 

Am I glad I went and sat at the feet of a volcano, 100% YES! I am not a high adventure person but this was amazing. I was delighted with everything about this little island and a village.

Tourism is #1 on Stromboli but everyone was kind, friendly, and helpful. It was clean, warm, and the food was delicious. Plus I had the best almond granita ever. I think I ordered it about 5 times or maybe only 2 but it was fantastic.

















Craig took a swim in the water and felt refreshened. Lazy, I don't want to get my hair wet, me did not. But it was beautiful, exciting, and an experience to not be forgotten.















"Second star on the right
  this is the path
  and than straight on until morning,
  the road you find, it
  brings you to the
  island that is not there."
 


No comments: