Friday, December 10, 2010

Homing Pigeons

Sometimes when I am driving down Calavo I see a flock of homing pigeons. I love watching them flying in their group and circle around and return home. If you want to know more visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homing_pigeon. It explains a little bit about why the birds return home. I just find it interesting that they can return from a distance hundreds and hundreds of miles away from home.

But this post isn't really about homing pigeons. Thursday morning while I was driving to my home I noticed the pigeons again. I thought "home", that is really where we want to be. I was returning to my home after spending a little time with a friend whose husband was in his last few moments of life as we currently know it. And I realized we know to return "home" after we are finished here. We KNOW where to return, I don't know how that all works but it does. HOME is just waiting for us when we are finished with our flight here. And HOME is where we want to be after this.

This friend's husband has now returned home. Over the years, I have had family members return home and I know they are glad their flight is over and they are welcomed back. This post is really about returning home, returning to where we belong.

No comments: