Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Keep taking those steps forward

February 4, 2014 - World Cancer Day

My first post-op was today. When I left this morning I realized it was the first, initially thinking it was the only.

Since I am still on lazy day restrictions, meaning no driving, etc. I requested a ride.  Donna Buntin took me to my appointment.  Donna and I have been friends for a few years, at first we were just visiting teaching partners but I can say it has developed to a friendship.  The appointment was for 10:30 in San Marcos, my not wanting to be late had us leaving at 9:30.  Donna's early arrival everywhere had us leaving at 9:20 thus we arrived about 10:05. 

On the drive Donna asked me if I was awake during my surgery or saw my tumor.  She said she would have wanted to know what was going on and would have said, "just a minute let me put my glasses on so I can see that tumor better."  We definitely differ here, I was happy to be asleep the whole time and not know.  I know being aware would have made it worse, I would have tensed up like I do at intense movies.  It was good I slept through it.

We settled into the waiting room and I mentioned to Donna the design of the room for the calming effect, she noticed the music and said they are even playing hymns.  Donna is a musician, more than that she has the gift of music.  "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" was playing.  It was peaceful, it was true.

I was a bit nervous going to this appointment for two reasons; my staples were being removed and I envisioned a little pain and what if the 2nd more thorough biopsy said something different from the first.   But I told myself, everyone says it is just a little tug and the doctor would have called.

I was called back, weighed, and blood pressure taken plus a discussion how they couldn't find me at one point since I told them my name is Ellen and the hospital Karma Ellen because of all the legal stuff.  But noted I am Ellen just like the nurse is Suly (part of her name, I don't know what her first name is) and Dr. Ghosh goes by Sue instead of Sutapa the name her mother gave her. I settle in the room waiting for Dr. Ghosh, Suly asked if we needed to do staple removal and I said yes, so the medical supplies were set out.

Dr. Ghosh came in, she comes and goes quickly but she is complete and makes sure her patient is okay, really okay. A review of my tumor and surgery, it went well and it was benign, benign, benign as she put it. Benign on all tests, but she said I knew it was benign when I took it out so the results did not surprise me.  She asked me how I was feeling and wanted to know if I needed any additional medicine or any concerns.  Nope, I haven't had to take pain medicine for a week now - I know that is a blessing.  You rate your pain on a scale of 0 to 10 and I don't think I ever let it get pass a 4.  Mostly of the time it is 0 as of late, occasionally like after a walk or being "active" (that is all relative -meaning a step above sitting all day) I am a little sore and around a 2, sometimes I am a 1 but that is more from irritation than anything. 

Then I lay down and exposed my lower belly and she precedes to remove the staples, all 18 of them.  I feel the tug and pull and a bit of a pinch because some of those staples were thinking they were going to become part of me.  It did not take very long, she kept me mostly distracted talking about if I needed anything and not to hesitate to use the medicine that is needed. Finally she was on the last one.  I was glad to have that part over.  Next the reminder that I am still on restriction; no driving, no strenuous activity, no lifting anything over 10 pounds (sorry Pippin you still can't be in my arms), etc. Also the care of my site, continue to shower as normal but just let the soap and water wash over it and pat dry as before.  Everything looks good and come see me again in 4 weeks for a more thorough exam.  Oh yeah, it makes sense now I will need another appointment, I am not finished with Dr. Ghosh yet, not yet but I am planning on it being only 1 more time I really think about her other than in gratitude.

I see my scar is straight now, it had looked wavy.  It looks like a bad stitching job that had to be unpicked with the little staple holes along side it.  I believe those will disappear but not the 3 inch incision, I know I also easily scar.  I had been getting used to my staples and my clothes rubbing them, now I feel each piece of fabric against the incision and holes, I am back to wearing looser fitting pajama bottoms today, maybe tomorrow too.  No walk for me today either just sitting around to lessen the times the fabric rubs.  But if all I have to complain about is a little irritation that is nothing, truly nothing.

I turn my paperwork in for the doctor's portion of disability and list my date of returning to work March 5, 2014 the day after my next appointment - I am planning on the all clear sign.

I think all of us have been affected one way or another by cancer.  Think about it and how you can help wipe out cancer, even if it is turning your facebook profile picture purple. 

Love ya

No comments: