Did I tell you in the midst of my concern for an ovarian tumor I received a phone call from the imaging lab about my mammogram?
January 2014
I was invited back in because they said they just didn't get a good enough reading. The receptionist who called me could hear the panic in my voice as she spoke to me. She said don't worry, if it was something to worry about your doctor would be the one making this call not me. But to calm my heart she gave me the very next available appointment which was that afternoon. I took it.
My thoughts/prayer went something like this "Dear God, no, I don't need this, I have enough with the tumor, I don't need to worry about breast cancer on top of this. Dear God, please let it be nothing, please, please, please."
At my appointment, I was welcomed back in by the same person who did my first reading. She mentioned something about them (who is them? - my doctor, the radiologist?) wanted a clearer view on my right breast. This time it was a simpler mammogram, there was something specific that needed to be viewed/xrayed.
A few days later I received another call from the same imaging lab letting me know I needed another step. There was calcifications found in my right breast, calcium deposits - microcalcifications to be exact (but I am not sure I heard that). I needed a breast biopsy. Their labs will do this but only the one in Encinitas had the equipment and radiologist to do it. She set me up with an appointment, the next one available - the Wednesday before my surgery.
Probably moments after I took the first call my doctor was calling me talking to me and letting me know the same information - trying to be as informative and caring through all this that she could. Any questions for me she asked; again I had no idea what to ask, where to begin. I caught her up on my visit with Dr. Ghosh and surgery was scheduled and that I had a appointment for the biopsy too.
After work I came home and started a new research into calcium deposits of the breast. Macrocalcifications are coarse calcium deposits found often in aging breasts tissues and about 50% of women over 50 have them, most are benign and don't require a biopsy. Microcalcifications are small - like the size of a grain of salt or smaller. Because of their shape and arrangement, radiologist request biopsies. This was me.
I don't remember what I said to Craig the first time just something about well to add on top of things I need a breast biopsy. I took a little time to tell the kids, no phone call right away just when the next time I was talking to them. I tried to act/sound as nonchalant about this as possible, told them that it was a common thing in women over 50 and the doctor just wants to check it out. But the prayers I asked for; more prayers please from the kids. (ha ha, I just realized my children might not want me to call them kids - they are 29 and 25- not really kids anymore) I figured I had plenty of other prayers coming my way with the tumor that I didn't need to ask friends or family for this one too. You know I figured that the one covered it all.
It was suggested by the lab that I might want someone to come with me, sometimes they give a sedative to relax the patient and if so I would need someone to drive me home. I asked Shelby and we cleared the work schedule that Willy could handle everything on his own.
Then I called Janet. Janet has had breast cancer TWICE. She is amazing. She just talked me through the whole thing. Is it painful? What do they do? Did you take the sedative? How did you feel afterwards? etc.,etc, etc. Janet said I could call her anytime. Having someone to turn to and is willing to share and talk and answer questions is a calming factor. I know talking to Delynn about my surgery and recovery was so helpful and calming. In both cases, the reassures and answers prepare you for the best and the worst.
The day before the biopsy the radiologic technician called and talked/walked me through the whole procedure too. I asked her why people take the sedative and she said to calm them, some people also need it because they are laying face and stomach down for a long time. Face down/stomach down, what do they do? lift you up like a car getting its oil changed and they are the mechanic working underneath you? And by the way the answer is yes. At least where my biopsy was done. Yes, kind of like an oil change. I asked for how long, the whole procedure is about 5 to 20 minutes depending on the pathologist reading and such. Such being how long it takes to get the sample. But you are there for longer, the other stuff. I decided not to take the sedative, I thought I could be calm enough.
The other thing I asked her was directions. I had goggled mapped the directions and the one complaint about the whole place was the directions and what building it was in. The imaging lab was in a set of buildings and which one of the buildings was it? right side of the street, red brick, large A on the front, north building, sliding glass front doors, first door on the left.
Shelby picked me up around 9:15, my appointment was at 10:30. We gave ourselves a good hour to get there, you never know about drive time especially in the morning with work traffic. We enjoyed talking about whatever and everything. Along El Camino Real, we passed several food locations and I said, let me take you to lunch after this is all over. We chose Chipotle Mexican Grill, Shelby had never been there before. We both loved it by the way - but I did feel a little self-conscious with my ice pack in my bra to ease the soreness and bruising of the biopsy.
We found it, quite easily - the A really stuck out. In the door and checking in. They had my previous insurance information, luckily I had already verified that my new insurance is accepted here and my new insurance lists the imaging lab as a preferred provider too. Insurance, I am thankful for it, thankful I don't have to worry about previous conditions, thankful it will cover a good chunk of all my costs. Each place I have gone they want money upfront. since when did you have to pay before it is fed through the insurance system. I will meet my deductible and out of pocket in no time.
A wait and then the call back with the technician, she showed me my current mammogram and my previous one and the changes. She showed me the specks that were the microcalcifications and how they were a few clusters of them. That was the concern, that they had changed and were now clustering. There was an explanation again of how the biopsy would be, Dr. Cooper - my radiologist - came in and explained it all again. Thorough they are. EVERY step of the procedure was stated beforehand too, no surprises about what is happening or what that prick or puff was.
They had to take 2 samples. First they numb you and then at some point send a very small needle with a tube attached to the site where the ultrasound showed (they do another ultrasound to be sure of the exact location). Remove by vacuum the sample, run it to the lab, and x-ray it. The first sample had no calcium deposits in it. None, zip, nada - where were those little buggers. Another ultrasound to confirm the location, they were in the right place the first time but the deposits were not there. A decision made, perhaps the buggers are closer to the skin level than thought, a second prick and second extraction. Run to the lab and I at this point am praying that they find what they need for the biopsy because my neck is really getting sore.
(I am being very direct and open in this next paragraph so you may choose to skip it - I don't mind)
You see I have been laying on my stomach for about 20 minutes now, with my breast hanging down through a hole, and my face turned to the left looking at a wall - a pretty wall - but a wall none the less. There was a pillow for my left arm to give it support, my right arm is laying straight against my body, and my head and neck have no support but just turned at a 90 degree angle to the left.
A pretty, quick return (answered prayers) with the statement, well there was one. Quick decision that it was enough but wonderment why they are not getting more. The uncomfortableness is finished, Dr. Cooper leaves, and the technician cleans me up. (how I wish I could remember her name because she really was super nice).
Another mammogram is done, this time it is cool because they take the pictures like sliced bread and then thread it together. I know that makes no sense. They show me what they are looking at. I see the current deposits, mostly just under the skin(?) and a few sprinkles scattered. Dr. Cooper said, if this would have been what we were looking at initially I never would have felt the need for a biopsy but as you can see this (the clusters) are what we were looking at. Why the change, perhaps the numbing medicine blew them apart and scattered them? perhaps, who knows.
I know - prayers. The thought is probably benign, but they will call me. I got the call on Monday, the day of my surgery. THOSE BUGGERS WERE BENIGN TOO! Yup - PRAYERS.
1 comment:
Aunt Ellen, those doctors sure must like keeping you on your toes! Thanks for sharing everything. It's all very interesting for me.
Post a Comment