Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The dusty path home

February 18, 2014

It has been 4 weeks since I had my surgery and I am getting along quite well.  I have my days when my "belly" feels a bit on the sore side.  Interesting enough it is mostly sore inside (I guess that healing through all that belly flubber). I can see why my doctor said 6 weeks recovery and the prescribed down time is 6 weeks.  Although I am doing well, amazing well I believe, I am still healing.

This post is mostly about my 2 days after surgery and my hospital recovery experience.  It may be too blunt in some places but I wanted to write while I could still remember somethings.  I recognize everyone's recovery and experience is unique to them but I know I have learned from others and maybe this post will be helpful to someone besides myself.

I stayed in the hospital for 2 1/2 days from beginning to end, mostly sleeping.  Craig stayed with me the whole first day, then he came to visit me Tuesday morning before work (5 am) and for a few hours after work. He was concerned that he should have been with me the whole time but truly I slept a good part of the day.  He was also concerned about waking me up at 5 am but I was already awake because of the regular hourly rounds of the nurses and CNAs.  I know it is their job; but does my blood pressure, temperature, oxygen level really need to be monitored that often and especially at night.  

Dr. Kris Ghosh (Dr. Sue Ghosh's brother - they are a team) came to visit me my first morning.  He immediately took the oxygen tube off and stated "that just dries out your nose and is not needed", especially in my case because my oxygen level was really good the whole time.  He also ordered the caterer removed which is good because my nurse said leaving those in too long can cause urinary tract infections.  Taking care of my own needs wasn't a problem except dragging the IV into the bathroom every time and for some reason the bathroom had no heat and was freezing as far as I was concerned where in my room was just about right.

My food was a liquid diet, mostly juice and broths. I advanced quickly to pureed fruits (think baby food for grownups) and pudding cups (probably my favorite).  I had pureed chicken noodle soup for lunch which wasn't too bad but the pureed leek soup for dinner had a lot to be desired with flavor.  Milk, even chocolate milk was okay and ice cream was allowed.  But what I mostly ate was the yogurt - for about the first time in my life my appetite was low; which truly is usually for me.  Wednesday prune juice was added to the diet to get my system moving - that is the ticket home; feeling good and a moving system otherwise you stay longer.

Beautiful flowers were delivered to my room Tuesday from my sweet sweet mother-in-law, Norine.  They added just the right amount of cheer.  The rooms at Loma Linda Medical Center are all private, which is really a nice benefit.  There is no worry about privacy or noise.  I also had my second visit from another chaplain that afternoon.  She was concerned about my surgery and thought I was younger than I was so when I told her it all went well and I was already well past menopause she was glad for me.  She asked if we could join in prayer together and what would I like to have her pray for at this moment.  We decided that a prayer of gratitude was in order.

When Craig came Tuesday evening, we went for 2 whole walks around my hospital floor.  I leaned on my IV pole like a walker each time.  Craig wondered if it would be easier for me if he pulled the IV pole along but it was my strength in holding me up.  Who knew that I would go from walking 4 to 5 miles daily in about 1 to 1 1/2 hours without a problem that a 5 minute walk around 1 wing of a hospital floor would wear me out.  On Wednesday, I was feeling better and took myself on 4 walks throughout the day just to get myself stronger and moving.



Dr. Sue Ghosh came in around 3 Wednesday afternoon and asked if I felt ready to go home and I was ready, that is.  I thought I am just resting and I can do that at home, probably even rest better at home because there will not be anyone waking me up but myself.  She said there wasn't any reason for me to stay, approved my release, and wrote 3 prescriptions for me to fill - 2 pain medications and 1 stool softener.  The pain medications were to use as needed.  I could take 1 every 4 to 6 hours and the other in-between every 4 hours.  Some how I lucked out because I really only needed it at night and through that first Sunday.  My first Saturday home, I guess I was feeling too good because I did a lot of moving around the house (no work because I was restricted on that) but that night I was so tired and hurting.  I awoke at 2 am for another dose of pain medicine and I believe I slept almost all of Sunday.  Dr. Ghosh also told me my restrictions for 6 weeks; no sex, no driving, no vacuuming, no lifting over 10 pounds, no excessive labor, and no work.  What she did tell me I could do was eat anything I wanted once my bodily functions were moving, all the walking I wanted, shower as normal, and plenty of rest. 

I contacted Craig and he left work right after a meeting and picked me up around 4.  When he arrived at the hospital, I still needed my paperwork done and my IV removed. That took only a few moments.  I knew he was coming and had gotten myself dressed as best I could.  I say as best I could because all that meant was underwear, pajama pants (my clothing of choice for about 2 weeks), a t shirt, and sweat jacket.  That sounds like a lot, but there was no pants or bra going on my body.  I couldn't do the shoes until someone came to help me, which Craig did.  When you leave the hospital, it doesn't matter how well you feel, you will still be taken out in a wheelchair, it is the policy.  Sometimes you have to wait for someone to be available to take you down to the entrance but my CNA was ready as soon as I was.  One of the things I made sure of before going home was a dose of pain medicine, I remembered my boss at work telling me when he took his wife home after her hysterectomy she thought he hit every bump and it was painful, I was trying to avoid that experience.





The ride was not too bad, it even loosen up the gas and bowels a bit so that was helpful (I know TMI - but maybe someone besides me might benefit from the information, maybe?).  When we arrived in Fallbrook we did two things right away before going home. We went to CVS Pharmacy to have my prescriptions filled - Craig ended up just dropping them off and going back in an hour - there was a bit of a line. And we went through the KFC drive thru and I got mashed potatoes and gravy.  At that moment those mashed potatoes and gravy were the best thing ever and just the right amount of food.  I think I had yogurt the next day for breakfast along with juice.  I believe for the first time in my life I actually lost my appetite while I was "sick" and lost weight, but don't worry I have gained it all back.

The next few days were uneventful, Craig worked from home and I slept or read.  In the past 4 weeks I have read or finished 4 books plus lots of magazines.  The time to read has been extremely enjoyable and a blessing.  It has reminded me how good it feels to read.  There were 2 sweet sisters from church that brought us dinner for Saturday and Sunday.  It was so very thoughtful, they chose to bring us dinner without any requests. They brought enough food that we were able to eat the delicious meals for a few extra days.

My sister, Katherine, came and stayed with us Sunday through Wednesday and it was so nice to have her help and company.  She prepared us meals, cleaned the house, and sorted box after box of our mom's stuff.  Katherine would bring one box in and set it on the table and I would unpack it.  We made several piles of the items - give away to thrift stores, throw away, give to family, keep for ourselves, or keep to determine later.  It was so helpful to have her here for that sorting.  Katherine did so much, because she was also the one boxing up the piles afterwards too.  The thrift stores since have received their donations, items have been thrown away, there are 2 large boxes to take to Katherine's at a later date, and some to be packaged up and mail to other family members. 

I certainly am grateful for all the giving to our family - to me especially - from friends, Craig, and Katherine.  It has made my recovery and healing so much better, easier, and quicker I believe.

1 comment:

DJ Glass said...

Hmmmm...prune juice! UGH. Sam drank gallons and ate even more. Personally I think you have to develop a taste for it as there is just no way! Glad you are doing so well, I'm sure the prayer of gratitude made a huge difference in your recovery. I often forget to be thankful and it's a lesson I can definitely learn from you.

And...I appreciate the TMI!

Hugs,

Dara