Friday, January 31, 2014

A Jump and a Skip Ahead

I grew up in the 60s, know for "make love, not war".  But I grew up in a small potato harvesting town of Idaho with 3,000 residents I am not even sure I knew the term or what truly was going on in the world.  I can recall that the first moon landing was July 20, 1969 because it was my mom's birthday, making such a momentous occasion remembrance because it was in my realm of importance - my mom.

But I do remember the moment I heard the official announcement of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints proclaiming "all of our brethren who are worthy may receive the priesthood", June 8, 1978.  I had just graduated from high school and was working at our local grocery store to save money for college.  I was walking by the butcher counter and the radio was playing when the announcement was made.  My memory tells me I sat down on the floor right there and cried.

My hometown was not diverse and I really truly did not experience diversity until these last few years, living in southern California and visiting my son's family in Baltimore.  I don't know every experience of diversity but I do know it brings variety and life to this world.  We are not all the same but we "...are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God." - Ephesians 2:19

I see my family opening their arms and inviting new members of their congregation to their home to break bread with them.  I have struggled each decade that my family has moved and missing old friends and familiarity to new experience and the unknown.  Feeling as a stranger - from the outside, it would seem I would be more aware.  Craig sees new faces and welcomes them, it is my own fear of rejection that halts me. "But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt." - Leviticus19:34

I finally starting reading Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, it will take me years to finish as I digest each bit. But now I know Bishop Myriel.  A favorite excerpt reminds me how to be.

"This is not my house; it is the house of Jesus Christ. This door does not demand of him who enters whether he has a name, but whether he has a grief, You suffer, you are hungry and thirsty; you are welcome....What need have I to know your name?  Besides, before you told me [your name], you had one which I knew.
"[ValJean] opened his eyes in astonishment.
"Really? You knew what I was called?
"Yes, replied the Bishop, 'you are called my brother.'"

A couple of weeks ago, I attended a baptism of a sister at our church.  Her daughter came; she was a "stranger" wearing jewelry in places I chose not to.  I said hello and recognized somehow I knew her.  We found our commonality, a mutual friend, and a connection was made.  I hope to welcome her again.  


In my readings and studying of the New Testament (I once read the 4 gospels to study only the life of Jesus and His characteristics over several months) a passage came to touch my heart.

"7There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink.
"9Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans.
"10Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water." - John 7, 9-11

My Savior opened His arms to all alike.  I have felt the opening arms and outpouring of love over the past few weeks.  Since the discovery of a tumor on my ovary, prayers have been united and united us to my healing.  I hope to spread my own arms wide open and see as my Savior has.  Thank you all for teaching me.


Inspired by: Ye Are No More Strangers - Bishop Gerald Causse

No comments: