Sunday, November 11, 2018

Hiking (Part 1)

From Dry Creek Canyon to City Creek Canyon - Bonneville Shoreline Trail

Craig introduced me to Dry Creek Canyon over a month ago.  Dry Creek Canyon starts at the end of 11th Street in Salt Lake City.  The gulch itself wanders about 1 mile before heading uphill for a view of the valley.


My first experience hiking this trail I traveled about halfway along it before after a couple of hours I headed downhill to where I left my car at Poppleton Park. I walked through neighborhood of homes to the park and drove home. But I had resolved that I wanted to hike the whole trail from the beginning to the end.

Now when I say beginning to end I meant completely round trip, leaving my home on foot and returning to my home on foot. I didn't know what distance it would be all in all but I guess about 9 miles and at my slow speed with a camera in hand about 4 hours. I was correct with the time but it turned out to be closer to 10.5 miles. The trail was close to 6.5 miles but walking to and from the trail was about 4 miles.




This was my second time hiking a part of the Bonneville Shoreline Trail, earlier in the spring I went from City Creek Canyon to Bountiful. I had Craig pick me up in Bountiful.

Both are fairly easy trails with a few areas of uphill but not too steep. Both trails give you fantastic views of the Salt Lake Valley. And both take you along dry grassy areas, trees, and spring wildflowers (or I at least assume Dry Creek to City Creek will in the spring.) Because of their 6 mile  lengths though I would consider the trails moderate.





It was a crisp fall morning for the Dry Creek trail section and I appreciated the coolness - I took the City Creek to Bountiful on a warm 80+ day and was very grateful for my water and the park drinking fountain at the end of the trail.





I like fall, I like the changing colors and the bare trees. I also appreciate the bluer skies with lots of white clouds that the cold air brings.





I passed or was passed by about 7 mountain bikers, 1 camper, 8 other hikers, and a few dog walkers on the trail.

Beyond this I will let my pictures showcase what the trail gives you. 





 










No comments: