Sunday, August 30, 2015

Life History Question #2

August 30, 2015

Who knows how often I will write but I guess as long as I do write that will be something. Ha!

Question #2 If you had lived when Joseph Smith did, would you have believed his testimony that he saw God, the Father, and Jesus Christ, the son? And would you have been willing to read the Book of Mormon?

I can only say, I hope so.  If not I would have missed out on so much joy and so many blessings in my life.

I have belonged to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints all my life.  From day one I have attended church and felt the sweet spirit of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.  I have been taught about Jesus Christ through many wonderful teachers and my family.  I have experienced coming to know Him by reading His words in the scriptures of the Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon, and the Doctrine and Covenants.  When I read about Jesus Christ in the scriptures I want to be like Him and live with Him again.

I read the Book of Mormon for the 1st time when I was 14 years old. I felt such joy when reading it, I just knew the words had to be the words of God.  The Book of Mormon testified of Jesus Christ, when I read about His visit to the Americas and the Nephites, I wanted to read and read and read it forever.  Because of the sweet joy I felt, I knew the words to be true and then if the words in the Book of Mormon were true then Joseph Smith had to be a prophet and really see Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.

When I was 16, I was able to take a trip back east with a large group of youth, my sister was in the group also.We stopped at various church history sites such as; Nauvoo, Kirtland, Winter Quarters, and Palmyra.  At Palmyra, we visited the Sacred Grove - where Joseph Smith saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ for the first time.  While in the Sacred Grove we had a quiet time time to think and reflect about the First Vision.  During that time of peaceful reflection I saw the sun shining through the trees and felt this reassurance that what Joseph Smith claimed, what he said was true.  I just knew it.  That was the best thing that happened to me on that trip.

I have felt blessed to have this confirmation of faith in my life touch my spirit.  I know Joseph Smith's words are true and the Book of Mormon is the word of God.  I hope that I would have been one to support Joseph during his lifetime because of what I know has made all the difference in my life.
Previous questions and life history

No comments: