August 23, 2015 - Hike up the Bernardo Mountain Summit Trail. A 4 mile strenuous hike up and down.
Friday night Craig and I were planning our Saturday out. There was the usually stuff, like in Craig's case a 12 to 14 mile run. Watering the yard, housework, yard work, shopping (sometimes) but I mentioned I really wanted to go on a hike. So that was set on the schedule.
 |
| This is Lake Hodges - drought stricken |
 |
| A natural plant restoration project in the works |
It was a bit challenging to get the hike in because there were so many other things but we headed down toward Escondido around 6 pm. Craig stated that he really wanted to do the Bernardo Mountain Summit Trail that we were unable to do last time. So we parked a little close and had perhaps only about a mile or so to walk to the trail head.
 |
| About 1 mile in you can actually see the water |
 |
| This is what the plants are looking like without rainfall |
 |
| Close to the trail head |
I have no idea what time we started up the trail head but it probably was quite close to 7 pm. We kind of made a made dash up quickly, stopping only to take the occasionally picture as proof we did it.
 |
| We made it |
 |
| Can you see our mouse friend? our names are on record in the box |
 |
| The sunset |
 |
| Happy and sweaty |
 |
| Blow out view of Escondido |
|
|
|
Ask Craig and he will probably tell you that I was determined to reach the top. I would admit I might be in the best shape of my life at the moment. the ability to climb a steep mountain without having to stop and catch my breath. We actually ran on the smoothier parts back down. It was getting quite dark but luckily we had some moonlight to help. I only freaked out once over a snake looking stick. It was hard but exhiliarting.
The
San Dieguito River Trails includes the Bernardo Summit Mountain Trail. There are several trails in and around the Lake Hodges area. There is work completing the Coast to Crest Trail of which this is a part.
See more of this year's adventures
here
No comments:
Post a Comment